Thursday, January 31, 2013

The Million "Second Chances"

I've done so many things in my life. I lost count of them all a long time ago. And I've done a lot of bad things, too.

I think everyone loses count of the good and bad things they've done. My mom is trying a new system for me called "grace points." I start out with three grace points every day. Every time I complain, get angry, etc, I lose a grace point, but I don't get reprimanded. But once those grace points are spent, then I get reprimanded. It's not terrible, but I have to admit...I lost a point today.

In James 1:19-21, it says, "My dear brothers and sisters, take note of this: Everyone should be quick to listen, slow to speak and slow to become angry, because human anger does not produce the righteousness that God desires. Therefore, get rid of all moral filth and the evil that is so prevalent and humbly accept the word planted in you, which can save you." (emphasis mine).

This is a huge challenge for me. I get frustrated quite easily (something I've been working on to fix), and I always feel regret when I throw all my anger on other people in the home. 
So, I decided to look in my Bible and find out what it has to say about anger. 

"In your anger do not sin. Do not let the sun go down while you are still angry, and do not give the devil a foothold." (Ephesians 4:26-27)

Cain was angry, Pharaoh was angry, Jacob was angry, Moses, Balaam, Samuel. The list goes on and on. Some had good reasons to be angered, others didn't.
But God is forgiving, too: "O Lord, you are so good, so ready to forgive, so full of unfailing love for all who ask for your help." (Psalm 86:5)

And sometimes, it's good to be sad: "Sorrow is better than laughter; it may sadden your face, but it sharpens your understanding." (Ecclesiastes 7:3)

And God gives us so many second chances when we sin against Him. Though, one of these days, those chances will run out...And we won't be breathing anymore. 

Anger is sinful, but it depends on how you control it. And that is what I'm working on. I can do so much better without anger....

Everyone can.




 

No comments:

Post a Comment